Tuesday, October 27, 2015

30 years ago...our new IBM PC!


30 years ago!!!!!!
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that we've had a personal computer for 30 years! I remember this one: we were so proud of it. It only had GREEN FONT on a black screen. No colour, no photos, no video and the WWW was unheard of although Robert did try to explain to me that it was coming in the future. At least, he told me about it in the early 1990's and said that by 1994 I would be able to read newspapers and books online, and also to see in COLOUR. I didn't believe him. He also mentioned that sometime within the next decade a person would be able to buy and sell online. I didn't believe him. And I remember seeing blurred and slow moving video clips at a conference in the early 1990's. I never thought I'd live to see the day of YouTube, eBay, Facebook, let alone seeing it all on smart phones. We have certainly evolved!
PS: we also were the proud owners of a Dot Matrix Printer.
By Loretta Houben




2 comments:

Betty said...

It's amazing how fast the technology changes nowadays. I guess there's no going back. I'm just glad my kids were all grown before the Internet, cell phones, social media, etc. I think it's so sad the way some people use the Internet to spread hate. I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Loretta said...

Hi Betty; yes, it's true; we must take the good with the bad, unfortunately. I am making terrific headway with my genealogy research this year. It's phenomenal! I joined Ancestry UK and have really filled out my family tree.